‘I’ll f*****g do you!’ – Remembering the last time Liverpool played Barcelona and Craig Bellamy attacked John Arne Riise with a golf club

‘I’ll f*****g do you!’ – Remembering the last time Liverpool played Barcelona and Craig Bellamy attacked John Arne Riise with a golf club

Liverpool are preparing to take on Barcelona in the first leg of the Champions League semi-final on Wednesday evening.


With the Premier League title race going right down to the wire, securing a domestic and European double is still a very realistic possibility for Jurgen Klopp’s men.





Craig Bellamy performs his infamous golf swing celebration



6




Craig Bellamy performs his infamous golf swing celebration



In fact, the Reds are the only English team to win in Catalonia in 41 previous contests – the first was in 1976, when a John Toshack goal proved decisive for a 1-0 first leg win in their UEFA Cup semi-final.


And it was not until 31 years later when this feat was repeated when Liverpool came from behind to win 2-1 thanks to goals from John Arne Riise and Craig Bellamy.


Despite the incredible performance from Rafael Benitez’s team that day, the game will be forever remember for Bellamy’s iconic ‘golf swing’ celebration – in reference to an attack by the Welshman on his red-headed teammate.


In an extract from his new autobiography, Riise spoke to The Guardian and revealed exactly what happened prior to the game during a training camp in the Algarve.


















Riise celebrates getting on the scoresheet himself in Barcelona



6




Riise celebrates getting on the scoresheet himself in Barcelona



He said: “We stayed at Barringtons Golf and Spa hotel, which was located in an exclusive resort called Vale do Lobo. I shared a room with Daniel Agger. On Thursday it was decided we should have a team dinner without the trainers and managers.


“At these dinners the players were allowed to have a beer or two, something I never took advantage of. But a couple of beers wasn’t going to hurt anyone else. If only they had managed to stick to a couple.


“Steven Gerrard had called the owner and booked a private room for us at Monty’s Restaurant and Bar. Monty’s was situated in an area near the beach. The interior was black and white, and I remember seeing a karaoke machine in the bar.


“A couple of the lads started drinking before the food arrived. Among them was Craig Bellamy. Pretty soon a microphone appeared on the table and Bellamy bellowed into it: ‘Riise’s gonna sing! Riise’s gonna sing!’ He started before the food was served and continued while we ate. He was already quite drunk and I was already quite annoyed.





The current Reds squad trained at Melwood on Tuesday



6




The current Reds squad trained at Melwood on Tuesday



“Pretty soon Bellamy was over by the karaoke machine with the microphone in the hand: “Riise’s gonna sing! Riise’s gonna sing!” Furious, I went over to him: “I’m not singing. Shut the f**k up or else I’m gonna smash you!’ He screamed back: ‘I’m gonna f****g kill you, you ginger c**t!’


“Bellamy shut up, and I left with Sami Hyypiä – who was just getting a little tipsy – and got a taxi back to the hotel. Agger hadn’t wanted to leave yet, so I promised to leave the door unlocked. Back in the room I fell asleep almost immediately. It was no later than half twelve.


“I woke in the dark to hear someone opening the door. Obviously I thought it was Agger. I turned, but my eyes were half-asleep, and I didn’t see anything in the sudden, bright glare. But something made me realise that it wasn’t Agger. And soon I could see him – Craig Bellamy at the foot of my bed with a golf club in his hands.


“Steve Finnan, who shared a room with Bellamy, was there too, but he just stood there. Bellamy raised the club over his head and swung as hard as he could. He tried to hit my shins, which would have ended my career, but I managed to pull my leg away in time.





Barca have already wrapped up La Liga



6




Barca have already wrapped up La Liga



“I jumped out of bed, pulled off the sheet and held it between us like I was some kind of half-awake matador. Bellamy sputtered: ‘Nobody disrespects me like that in front of the lads!’ He was completely gone.


“’I don’t care if I go to jail! My kids have enough money for school and everything. I don’t care. I’ll f*****g do you!’ He raised the club and swung again. This time he connected. Full force on my hip. I was so pumped with adrenaline that I didn’t feel the pain, but he hit me hard. It was an iron.


“The next blow smashed into my thigh. I tried to hold up the sheet, but he continued to strike. He could seriously injure me. At the same time, I knew I could take Bellamy if I needed to. I was bigger and stronger.


“[Steve] Finnan stood by the door. Maybe he was there to stop Bellamy if it got too bad, but he was short and skinny. He wouldn’t have stood a chance once I made my mind up. However, I knew that if I responded to Bellamy’s attack, my career at Liverpool would be over.





Liverpool will be facing an even more dangerous Lionel Messi than in 2007



6




Liverpool will be facing an even more dangerous Lionel Messi than in 2007



“I tried to calm him down: ‘Put down the club and let’s fight with our fists. Come on! A proper fight!’ He just stood and glowered at me. Then he said: ‘Tomorrow at nine o’clock we’ll meet and finish this.’ Then he left.”


The game against Barcelona finished to 2-1 to Liverpool amazingly thanks to goals from both Bellamy and Riise in the Nou Camp.


Despite Deco’s first half header, Bellamy equalised with a header which he celebrated by running to the corner and mimicking a golf swing.


In a stunning turn of events, he then turned provider for Riise’s winner in the second half, although the Norwegian was left less than impressed by his teammate’s satirical sense of humour.


“I felt like knocking him [Bellamy] out,” Riise continued. “I would have been justified in giving him a pounding but I had too much respect for Benítez and the team. We were about to play an important match. There was enough commotion as it was.


“Bellamy apologised but only when he was more or less forced to by the manager. He ended up with an £80,000 fine. I received no punishment, contrary to the reports of some journalists.







6





“Barcelona took the lead at Camp Nou, Deco nodding in a header, triggering cheers from more than 90,000 fans in the stands.


“They had us under pressure, and there was a feeling everything could unravel. Frank Rijkaard had assembled an impressive team. Not only did he have the world’s best player, Ronaldinho, but also a brilliant young talent named Lionel Messi.


“Two minutes before the break Bellamy equalised. He celebrated by running towards the corner flag, where he stopped and made a swinging motion, like he was holding a golf club.


“I thought it was f*****g disrespectful. The celebration also revealed the sincerity of his apology.”





Attacked Liverpool fan `now eating independently and trying to sing´ 'I'm gonna f***** kill you, you ginger c***!': John Arne Riise lifts the lid on extraordinary golf club bust-up with team
Full text of "Michael Cox The Mixer" - archive.org




- Remembering the last time Liverpool played Barcelona and Craig Bellamy attacked John sports 1st May 2019 Liverpool are preparing to take on Barcelona in the first leg of the Champions League semi-final on Wednesday evening.
'I'll f*****g do you!' - Remembering the last time Liverpool



Cox - The Mixer_djvu.txt
audio All Audio latest This Just In Grateful Dead Netlabels Old Time Radio 78 RPMs and Cylinder Recordings. Live Music Archive. Top



'I'll f*****g do you!' - Remembering the last time Liverpool played Barcelona and Craig Bellamy attacked John Arne Riise with a golf club
'I'll f*****g do you!' - Remembering the last time Liverpool




Football, LFC, Liverpool, Liverpool Football, Liverpool Sport, North England Business 'I'll f*****g do you!' - Remembering the last time Liverpool played Barcelona and Craig Bellamy attacked John Arne Riise with a golf club
Jan Vertonghen injury news: Tottenham manager Mauricio




Safety first The defender briefly returned to the game after suffering concussion before being helped off the pitch looking disorientated Tottenham followed all the correct protocols after Jan Vertonghen suffered a serious head injury against Ajax, Mauricio Pochettino insisted last night.
Dunseith Alumni | Official Blog of the Dunseith, ND Alumni
dunseith.net/blog/?paged=2
You and Bernadette started it years ago, I just asked questions about why you felt the need to provide food and clothing for PI children at Christmas time. The result of those e-mails was a joint venture between you and I to share that info with those who read the Dunseith Blog.
Liverpool - All items - 26 April 2018
atomicsoda.com/liverpool/all/26-apr-2018
Craig Bellamy reveals why Real Madrid would struggle to beat Liverpool. The "do you remember the time when.." thread. Liverpool fan attacked: Uefa 'deeply
The Sydney Morning Herald Blogs: Sport
blogs.smh.com.au/sport/archives/2007/02/grand_final_weekend_hangover.html
The stories coming out of the tabloids suggest that Craig Bellamy attacked John Arne Riise with a golf club, after Riise refused to get up and sing karaoke. Barça played on Sunday, whereas Liverpool will have had ten days to prepare come game day, so the teams have had different preparations in that respect.
28 December 2018 News Archive | Daily Mail Online | Daily


'I'll f*****g do you!' - Remembering the last time Liverpool
fussboll.com/2019/05/01/ill-fg-do-you-remembering-the-last-time-liverpool-played-barcelona-and-craig-bellamy-attacked-john-arne-riise-with-a-golf-club/
Liverpool are preparing to take on Barcelona in the first […] 'I'll f*****g do you!' - Remembering the last time Liverpool played Barcelona and Craig Bellamy attacked John Arne Riise with a golf club
'I'll f*****g do you!' - Remembering the last time Liverpool

No comments:

Post a Comment