Manchester United news: Memphis Depay explains how he was treated like a ‘naughty child’ during his time at Old Trafford

Manchester United news: Memphis Depay explains how he was treated like a ‘naughty child’ during his time at Old Trafford

Former Manchester United winger Memphis Depay claims he was treated like a ‘naughty child’ by Louis van Gaal during his underwhelming spell with the Red Devils.


The Dutch forward failed to make an impact at Old Trafford, scoring just two Premier League goals in as many years, before joining Lyon in 2017.




Depay has gone from strength to strength since leaving United



getty


2



Depay has gone from strength to strength since leaving United


Since then, the 25-year-old has emerged as one of the most gifted players in Europe and in his new autobiography, he explains how he has matured as an individual.


Depay reveals that he approached Ryan Giggs for advice on how to improve as a winger, while former Red Devils boss Van Gaal had different ideas.


“After I lost my spot in the starting line-up, I asked assistant coach Ryan Giggs to do extra training with me,” Memphis said in his book ‘Heart of a Lion’.











“To work on my crosses with my left foot, to become a better winger. After a while Van Gaal asked me to come to his office. He said that there was nothing wrong with my left foot and that the extra training with Giggs was nonsense. It’s all in your head, he also told me.


“That struck me. I mean, what could be wrong with trying to become a better player, with the help of a former top-winger like Ryan Giggs? More and more I got the feeling I could do nothing good according to Van Gaal.


“Later Van Gaal came to me and told me I had to talk with a mental coach he personally knew. My answer was that I wanted to think about that.




7. Memphis Depay (winger)



getty


2



Depay was a shadow of his current self at Old Trafford


“I was still confident that I would succeed at United, as soon as I was adapted to the higher level of football and to my new life in England.


“Later on Van Gaal kept on saying that I needed to talk to that mental coach. It would benefit my focus and concentration level, he said. But I didn’t feel like talking to a stranger, also because I had my own mental coach since I was twelve already.


“Deep inside I felt that it would cause a problem if I didn’t do what Van Gaal told me. But I didn’t want to be an actor and pretend that I thought it was a good thing to do. Just to please the manager.




LIVE ON talkSPORT





talkSPORT is your home of live football! Here's what's coming up on talkSPORT and talkSPORT 2...




  • France vs South Korea (Friday, 8pm) – talkSPORT

  • Denmark vs Republic of Ireland (Friday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2

  • Croatia vs Wales (Saturday, 2pm) – talkSPORT

  • England vs Scotland (Sunday, 5pm) – talkSPORT




“After my third refusal to talk to that mental coach, Van Gaal didn’t speak to me for a long time. I think he’s finished with you when you don’t follow his advice.


“He kept putting me on the bench and at the end of the season he spoke to me again: to say that next year would be even more difficult to me, because United was going to buy new strikers.


“Before the last game of the season, the FA Cup-final against Crystal Palace, he even put me on the stands. Like a teacher does at school with a naughty child.”





How many Premier League teams are allowed in Champions League 2019-20? clubs in the quarter-finals of the Champions League, while in the Europa League, Arsenal and Chelsea are still going
Champions League final: Tottenham v Liverpool - things that




Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu claims “know what will happen†when it comes to the future of in-demand Ajax defender Matthijs de Light. The Netherlands international is attracting interest from leading sides across Europe. Manchester United remain in the hunt for centre-half
Barcelona chief suggests Matthijs de Ligt's future has




Former Barcelona and Manchester City legend, Yahya Toure, 35 has announced his retirement from football after a stellar career spanning 17 years which saw him win 13 major trophies in Greece, Spain and England. This was disclosed by his agent Dimitri Seluk while speaking to Sport 24. He said: "Yaya has decided to end his career as a champion.
Former Man City Star, Yaya Toure Retires, Seeks Coaching



The most exciting team to watch in the Premier League this season - talkSPORT writers have their say Premier League s second-biggest goal tally this season but have also conceded the most
Best fantasy football strikers in the Premier League 2018-19



Liverpool star Virgil van Dijk told to LEAVE if Champions League bid falters • LIVERPOOL star Virgil van Dijk should leave if the club do not win the Champions League. • Sports • newsR: Monday, 13 May 2019
Liverpool news: Virgil van Dijk and Gini Wijnaldum given




Transfer news LIVE: Man Utd double raid, Hazard to Real Madrid close, Liverpool, Arsenal TRANSFER NEWS LIVE - Updates from Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea ahead of the
Transfer news, rumours - LIVE! - uevf.org


Tottenham fans make fun of Manchester City for disallowed VAR


Liverpool news: Alisson Becker to officially become Reds



Vinnie Jones: My Hollywood career was sparked by Iain Dowie and rejection at QPR "Out walks Ozil with the Arsenal boys behind them, that's not for me." Unai Emery opts to rotate the armband among his players, rather than appointing one solitary captain.
Hyped Hollywood careers that crashed and burned | 4search.com




Mansfield 0-0 Newport (1-1 agg, 3-5 pens): County progress to Wembley play-off final thanks to dramatic shoot-out win fpnews May 12, 2019 0 Newport will contest the League Two play-off final at Wembley after beating Mansfield on penalties.
Tranmere promoted to League One after dramatic extra-time




Cape Town - Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri has revealed that defender David Luiz recently held contract talks with club chiefs. Brazil defender Luiz's contract expires at the end of the season



Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola was left swearing at his television following Liverpool's late winner against Tottenham on Sunday. The fortunate 2-1 victory saw Liverpool leapfrog City, who
Liverpool left Manchester City boss Pep Guardio | SportSpyder



Apr 23, 2019 · Chelsea will reaffirm their commitment to Callum Hudson-Odoi by making the teenager another new contract offer while he recovers from the ruptured Achilles that has ended his season.
Chelsea to offer wonderkid new contract 'as Achilles injury
fussboll.com/2019/04/23/chelsea-to-offer-wonderkid-new-contract-as-achilles-injury-ends-bayern-munich-interest/
silver lining Hudson-Odoi is expected to miss the start of […] Chelsea to offer wonderkid new contract 'as Achilles injury ends Bayern Munich interest' - Fussboll Home
Chelsea to offer Callum Hudson-Odoi new contract after injury



West Ham 3 Southampton 0 live on talkSPORT 2: Full commentary and free stream for 3pm top-flight clash The match will be live on talkSPORT 2 and here's how you can tune in. West Ham vs
West Ham vs Southampton live on talkSPORT 2: Full commentary


No comments:

Post a Comment